Friday, February 25, 2011

January/February Highlights!

Hello again! After returning from the Miss America Pageant in Las Vegas, I was eager to jump back into my role as Miss Florida! I attended the Florida Strawberry Festival's annual Strawberry Ball. I was happy to see many great friends who were excited to hear all about my Miss America experience. I don't think I'll ever get tired of talking or reminiscing about it. I am pictured below with Mr. Al Berry who has been such a blessing this year. He and his wife Patsy have been such a support system for me from the very beginning. Thank you to all of the wonderful citizens of Plant City for your encouraging words, thoughts and prayers. The Ball was fantastic, as always, and was a great start to getting into the Strawberry Festival spirit!




Although not pictured, I attended the 2011 Miss Orlando and Miss Orange County Pageant in Orlando and I have to say, it was nice being in the audience this time :) Donald Gray and Juan Cantu put on a fantastic show! Congratulations to Brittany Hagan- Miss Orange County, Ashley Ramsey- Miss Orlando and Elizabeth Fechtel- Miss Orlando's Outstanding Teen. I will see you ladies in July at the Miss Florida and Miss Florida's Outstanding Teen Pageant in St.Petersburg, Florida! To continue with the strawberry theme, I participated in the Strawberry Distance Challenge 5k also held in Plant City. It had been quite some time that I participated in a 5k, but I managed to place third in my 20-29 age group! You can tell I'm pretty excited in the photo below! I had such a great time, and am looking forward to racing more often :)
Grrrr! :)


After the race, I attended the 2011 Miss UCF Pageant, held at the beautiful University of Central Florida. Go Knights! Thank you to Allison Walsh for attending with me and to Veronica Levisay for allowing me to speak on behalf of the Children's Miracle Network, it is always an honor! It was a phenomenal production! Congratulations to Jaqueline Boehme, Miss UCF 2011!



With the beautiful Audra Martin and Allison Walsh!


My next appearance brought me to the Women's Junior League of Dunedin to speak on the topic of Cyberbullying. I was thrilled to once again share my story (although it is not a pleasant one) so that the severity of this issue is recognized. I was so excited to learn that they had many anti-bullying initiatives that were being planned for the upcoming year, it will most certainly change lives. Thank you to Suzanne Patrick for giving me the opportunity to speak to the lovely ladies of your Junior League!




My next highlight brings me to the United Food Bank of Plant City's annual "Celebrity Chef" event with Chef Jon Ashton as our special guest. (http://www.jonashton.com/). Before the evening began, there was a cook-off competition between the Plant City Gourmet Club and Grillers. I tried each of their dishes and have to say, they were both fabulous. However, there could only be one winner...and it was the Grillers! They had a delicious filet dish that was a hit. I couldn't wait to see what Chef Ashton would be demonstrating during dinner, which ended up being an Italian cream pasta recipe. He was extremely entertaining to say the least, but also very easy to follow as he was explaining each part of the process. It was wonderful to be a part of such a successful fundraiser for the Food Bank, as they assist countless amounts of families in the area. We appreciate their efforts so very much!






My next event took me to Naples, Florida for the ground breaking of the Picayune Strand Restoration Project/Faka Union Canal Pump Station on behalf of the Everglades Foundation. I was joined by Secretary of the Interior, Ken Salazar and other state and federal officials to celebrate the restoration project which will provide direct benefits to the many plant and animal species (including our Florida Panther) that inhabit the area by recreating its natural conditions and connecting broad expanses of other protected areas. It was an honor to not only be a part of the ground breaking but to also sing our National Anthem as a part of the day's events.


That evening, I attended the Foreverglades benefit at The Breakers in West Palm Beach, as it is the main fundraiser of the year for the Everglades Foundation. All proceeds support the Foundation's restoration programs aimed at saving our precious Everglades. This year's theme was "country-chic", so with my Plant City roots, I knew exactly what to wear ;) I was excited to put on my glitzy denim Juan Carlos outfit provided by Regalia Magnificent Apparel, and meet all of the wonderful people who have contributed to such an incredible organization that is continuing to change the state of Florida and our ecosystems for the better. Kenny Chesney was the star performer for the evening, but we were also surprised by another guest performer.... Jimmy Buffet! We had such a ball dancing the night away. Thank you to Wendy Roberts for accompanying me for such a fabulous evening and to the Everglades Foundation for allowing me to participate in both events.



Kenny Chesney!

I tried to put the cowboy hat over the crown...See it peeking out? :)


With legendary golfer, Jack Nicklaus and his wife. They are fantastic supporters of the Everglades Foundation!








In the midst of a very busy week, it was so wonderful to hear from Miss Delaware, Kayla Martell, that she was in Plant City (of all places!) filming for NBC's "The Doctors"! We were able to meet up in Tampa for lunch and it was the greatest feeling to see her. We had bonded so much during Miss America and I was overjoyed to be able to spend some time with her and her beautiful mother. I love you both!




The next evening, I attended the Miss Winter Park/ Miss City Beautiful Pageant. The Miss Florida Organization is thrilled to have both titles back at the state pageant this year. Congratulations to Ross Amkraut on a fabulous production, you did a fantastic job and we appreciate the opportunities that you have created for the young women in Central Florida! Congratulations also to Miss Winter Park- Kristina Janolo, Miss City Beautiful- Sara York, Miss Winter Park's Outstanding Teen- Samantha Janolo and Miss City Beautiful's Outstanding Teen- Rachel Strever!







With Kayla, Miss Delaware! :)




With our Winter Park/City Beautiful titleholders!






Next, I returned to St.Petersburg and had the honor of singing the National Anthem at the opening of International Baseball Season at Al Lang Field. It couldn't have been a more beautiful day for the game and it is always a pleasure to reunite with the wonderful people of St.Pete. It was an exciting game where Penn State took on the Seoul (South Korea) Nexen Heroes. It was great to catch up with Mayor Foster after he threw out the first pitch, and visit with other council members in attendance. It was great to see Al Lang Field keeping the tradition alive!












Although I would have loved to stay for the entire game, I immediately went to my next appearance of the day. It was an honor and privilege to attend The Sgt. Thomas Baitinger and K9 Officer Jeffrey Yaslowitz Memorial Golf Tournament at Feathersound Country Club in Clearwater. I couldn't thank each of the participants enough for contributing, as all of the proceeds went directly to family. Thank you to the St. Petersburg Police Department for allowing me to attend and for all that you do each and every day in the community. You are our heroes.











After the tournament, my day didn't stop there! I drove to the Crisis Center of Tampa Bay to assist in conducting another BullyBusters meeting with our awesome BullyBusters Youth Council. I love being able to help guide them as they face the battle of bullying every single day in their schools. They are true leaders and it excites me to have such positive, young people standing up to bullying by taking their personal experiences and using the strength that they have gained from persevering, to help other students. It is children and teens like them that continue to inspire me as well. Thank you to Carol and Commisioner Murman for such a wonderful partnership.







Next, I was thrilled to hear that legendary supermodel and Celebrity Apprentice star, Nikki Taylor was going to be in Plant City for the Reader's Digest "We Hear You America" tour, honoring America's greatest hometowns. They donated $1000 to Plant City's Little League and our hometown star, Chelsea Baker was recognized for her incredible achievements! She has been given nationwide exposure for throwing two perfect games in a year and has represented Plant City so well. We are so proud of you, Chelsea!






With Nikki Taylor and Chelsea Baker at City Hall!
Continue to stay posted, another entry to follow soon! :)


Much love,

Jaclyn